Saturday 5 November 2011

Sugars v sweeteners

I am finally here, talking about sugar and sweeteners and which are best for you. I did a post on my other blog sometime ago about this but can't remember what I wrote. Anyway, I am talking about sugars v sweeteners in cough sweets. I have an annoying cough at the moment (about 3 weeks now I think it is) and now and then have Lockets to soothe my throat. Lockets, and other cough sweets, all have sugar in. I also have herbal drops in my bedroom to suck during the night in case I get hungry or have a cough. Now these don't have sugar in but do have two sweeteners in: aspartame and acesculfame-K. I know that these two can have side effects to them. According to one of my health books aspartame may cause dizziness, blurred vision and migraine. A-K has cancer links. Just one of these may have effects but two? So what is better for you? One with lots of sugar in (it also has honey which is what soothes the throat), and one that can cause health problems. I am trying not to have too many Lockets because of the sugar in them, as there is another health reason why I am trying not to have too much sugar. More on that in another blog. Maybe next time I write about healthy eating. Let me know what you think. Sugar or sweeteners better for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment