Tuesday 6 September 2011

Zero waste - out and about

This week is zero waste week - out and about. What recycling do you do when you are away from home? Here are a couple of things that I do.

Usually when I meet my critique group I have a packet of crisps there. I put the empty packet in my bag to take back home with, as I send these off to Eco-Centricity for recycling. Next time I go, next week, if any of the others have crisps too I will ask them to give them to me too.

Back in May I went to a writing retreat. To save taking numerous bottles of water, I took my own plastic bottle and every morning and lunch time I would ask the staff in the kitchen if they could top up my bottle with tap water. They did. I know this isn't recycling but it is in a way when I take my own bottle.

And here is something my mum has done once. One day she was out and about and had taken empty tetrapaks to be recycled. She saw a man drinking from a small carton and said to him to give her the empty carton as she was about to recycle her own. He gave it to her. I don't know if I have the nerve to do that.

Next time Iwill tell you about what my friend does about recycling when she is on holiday.

1 comment:

  1. great write up - thanks Julie. I love the nerve of your mother; not sure if I would do that either - certainly one to ponder on. Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete